The ETL-5 dataset was collected at Fujitsu Limited and organized by Electrotechnical Laboratory by using the TOSBAC-3400 computer system in 1974. It contains scans of 51 Katakana characters handwritten with a presence of character style guide.
- OCR Sheet (Same as for ETL-1)
- Sheet: B5 size (ISO 216), 90-kg-per-1000 OCR sheets
- Dropout color: No. 26 Violet 50% Screen (DNP)
- Frame size: 5 mm in width by 7 mm in height
- Frame pitch: 7.62 mm (between columns) by 12.7 mm (between rows)
- Frame layout: 10 columns by 12 rows = 120 frames
- Class of characters
- Katakana: 51（ア-ワヰウヱヲン）
- Location: Fujitsu Limited
- Guide for writers (rough translation from original Japanese):
- Writing guide
- Use an HB-graphite pencil for writing. For correction, make it completely clean by using erasers.
- Write each character twice in the specified frames as shown in the example.
- Refer to the character style guide before start writing.
- Character style guide
- Watch out for the parts marked by circles.
- Keep the stroks ordered, not scattered.
- Make corners and dots clear.
- Write each character full but never out of the frame, not slanted, and neatly.
- Writing guide
- Number of writers: 104
- Number of samples: 10608 = (51 × 2 × 104)
- Scanning System
- Scanner: Flying Spot Scanner (FSS) with a Flying Spot Cathod Ray Tube 5CNP16 and a Photomultiplier Tube 7696
- Pixel interval: 0.1 mm × 0.1 mm
- Pixel size: 0.1 mm
- Intensity levels: 16 (4 bits)
- Number of pixels: 72 × 76 = 5472 pixels
- Dataset Organization
- Scanning location: Electrotechnical Laboratory
- Computer system: TOSBAC-3400/41 (program: FSSTOMT)
- Date of organization: February 1975
- Date of scanning: February 1975
- 斉藤泰一、山田博三、森俊二: “手書文字データベースの解析(III)”, 「電総研彙報」, Vol.42, No.5, pp.385–434 (1978-05).